History

Lviv University of Trade and Economics is an heiress to glorious cooperative traditions of the past, its origins as an institution of higher education for training specialists in business go back to specialized schools which operated in Ukraine in the first half of the 19th century.

Lviv University of Trade and Economics is proud of its two century history and the status of the oldest trade and economic higher educational institution in Ukraine. The date of birth of the institution is considered to be March 7, 1816 − the date of founding the Real School. Since then the educational institution has been actively developing, gaining cooperative traditions and keeping the secrets of doing successful business over the years.

The University was founded by the Directive of Religion and Education Ministry of Austro-Hungary on September 8, 1899 and was named State Trade School. By the decision of the emperor the School started its work on October 1, 1899. Professor A. Pavlovskyi was appointed an acting director of the School. 

The official inauguration of the Higher Trade School in Lviv was held on Monday, October 2, 1899 at Skarbko’s house (now it is Mariia Zankovetska Ukrainian Drama Theatre).

In 1902 the Higher Trade School was granted the status of Academy, it was renamed “Trade Academy” and it was officially recognized as the basic educational centre in Halytchyna for training highly-skilled specialists in trade.

In 1922 the Trade Academy was re-organized into the Higher School of Foreign Trade. The reorganization took place according to unanimous Resolution of the plenary session of Chamber of Commerce of April 3, 1922. The Directive of October, 1922 

№ 9360 confirmed the status and curricula of the Higher School of Foreign Trade in Lviv and gave some privileges in school inspecting, appointing the teaching staff, approving scientific and examination regulations. A. Pavlovskyi was appointed a rector again. His deputies were Doctors, Professors H. Korov and S. Ruzevich (both perished during the very first days of the occupation of Lviv).

The Higher School of Foreign Trade gave its graduates professional skills for fulfillment all commercial tasks both in Poland and abroad. The education lasted 3 years (one year of preparatory course and two years of professional course). Highly qualified staff and rich teaching facilities made it possible to get the Status of Academy in 1937. Since 1936 the Academy of Foreign Trade has occupied the newly built house in Sacramentok Street 10, (now M. Tuhan-Baranovskyi Street 10). Nowadays the main building of Lviv Academy of Commerce is situated here. 

After proclaiming the Soviet Power in Western Ukraine the reorganization of Academy into the Institute of Soviet Trade took place. It was officially confirmed by the Decree of the Rada of people’s commissars of the USSR (Resolution №842 of June 11, 1940). Since 1945 in Lviv there were two higher trade schools. The Ukrainian Soviet Institute of Cooperative Trade moved from Kharkiv. This institution was one of the four institutes named after M. Tuhan-Baranovskyi, which under the name of Trade and Commodity Institute operated in Kyiv, then − in Odesa, and since 1944 − in Kharkiv.

M. Tuhan-Baranovskyi Kyiv Cooperative Institute began its operations on January 1, 1920, proceeding from the higher cooperative instructional courses that existed at the Central Ukrainian Cooperative Committee since the autumn of 1917. It was Ukraine’s first institution of higher education that trained personnel for consumer cooperatives.

In 1947 due to unification of Lviv Institute of Soviet Trade with the Institute of Soviet Cooperative Trade, Lviv Institute of Trade and Economics training specialists for co-operative system such as accountants, economists, and commodity experts was founded.

Today University is a modern scientific and educational institution of the highest fourth accreditation level, where the main goal is high-quality training of competitive specialists in the labour market in various sectors of economics. 

The teaching staff consists of 200 persons, including 39 Professors (Doctors of Science) and 167 Associate Professors (Candidates of Science). There are 17 academicians among them. There are postgraduate and doctoral studies divisions as well as specialized councils functioning for gaining doctoral and master degrees.

The University’s Library Fund consists of about 500 thousand copies, which is completed with literature in economics, trade, commodity, marketing, accounting, auditing, banking, finance, management, international economic relations, the history of cooperation in Ukraine, etc. Due to the educational process computerization in the university there is an electronic library operating.

Our students starting from the 3rd year of studies (or the 1st year of short term training) have the opportunity to undergo military training at Hetman Petro Sahaidachnyi National Army Academy with which we signed a cooperation agreement.

All the students of University are provided with the accommodation in the hostels. Two chapels are functioning within the dorms caring for students’ spiritual enrichment.

In the structure of University there is: the Ukrainian Institute “Ukoopinformproekt”, Business Center “Interekonomika”, Research Laboratory of the Economic Evaluation, the Center of Modern European Languages, Publishing House, Personnel Agency, the Department of International Relations and Strategic Development, Information Education and Research Institute. The educational and scientific complex “Academy” operates within the University, which combines cooperative colleges, technical schools and specialized school. There are over 10 scientific schools functioning in the University which are known not only in Ukraine but also abroad. This fact enables the administration and staff to form a powerful scientific, educational and methodological base for teaching disciplines.

The University cooperates with the leading national universities of Ukraine as well as with the University of Auvergne − Clermont 1 (France), Cracow University of Economics, University of Economics in Bratislava, Paul Valéry University (Montpellier, France), University of Porto (Portugal), Ovidius University of Constanta (Romania), Timishuaru University (Romania), University International College (Birmingham, UK), University of Seville (Spain), Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University (Georgia), Universities of Venice and Salerno (Italy), Friedrich Schiller University of Jena (Germany), Linköping University (Sweden), Malmo University (Sweden), University of Krems (Austria), the Polytechnic Institute of Bragança (Portugal), Francisk Skorina Gomel State University, European University Cyprus, Association of Central and Eastern Europe Universities (Italy), Cooperative Trade University of Moldova, the Swedish Institute (Stockholm), Wrocław University of Economics (Poland), Higher School of Economics ALMAMER in Warsaw (Poland), International University College (Bulgaria) and other institutions of higher education in Europe.

University students have the opportunity to participate in the students exchange programs, which take place between the University and the educational institutions of the European Union and the United States. In addition, the representatives of the University are extensively involved in various research programs in the UK, Israel, Morocco, Austria, Germany and Poland.